Casual Fridays
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Casual Fridays

A place for casual thought provoking discussions on all things.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vlaz
Admin
Vlaz

Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? Empty
PostSubject: Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?   Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 am

Christianity is based around Jesus dying for the sins of all God's people (however you want to explain that that works).

Regardless of the technicalities, the story goes that God sacrificed his son for the sake of all of mankind. That's a human sacrifice. Christians make a big deal distancing themselves from animal sacrifices, despite the origins of the religion (Judaism, which still practices animal sacrifice) yet this human sacrifice argument could be made.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefinalstage.wordpress.com
unicorn

unicorn

PostSubject: Re: Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?   Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 pm

I never understood the whole Jesus dying for our sins thing Neutral even though i had a very religious upbringing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Heroin

Heroin

PostSubject: Re: Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?   Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Vlaz wrote:
Christianity is based around Jesus dying for the sins of all God's people (however you want to explain that that works).

Regardless of the technicalities, the story goes that God sacrificed his son for the sake of all of mankind. That's a human sacrifice. Christians make a big deal distancing themselves from animal sacrifices, despite the origins of the religion (Judaism, which still practices animal sacrifice) yet this human sacrifice argument could be made.

Thoughts?

Well, God kind of sacrificed himself, since zombie Jesus came back in 3 days. Jesus is his son and also God. Like this. Yes, it's basically impossible to comperhend.

Christians make a big deal distancing themselves from animal sacrifices? Really? I've never even heard of it as an issue.

Anyway, at least around here it's just viewed as something that was done in the past, when people were more simple and not as civilized as now, it's not a big deal at all.

There's this story in the bible...
Abraham was told by God to sacrifice his son. Abraham was very sad but he'd do anything for God, of course. So he went up this mountain not telling his son what he's doing, and then right before he killed him, God was like STOP, I was just testing ya.

I don't know, man, just read some Wikipedia about Christianity, maybe you could say it is based on sacrificing for others, and then when you translate it into modern day, it basically means don't be a selfish dick, help others even if you suffer for it, you'll be rewarded in the end. (heaven)

Of course, this interpretation probably won't work for you, and you probably won't read anything since you have "This is fucking stupid." in your head before you even begin. I'm just assuming this.

But yeah, a lot of people, a lot of different interpretations, if you want to think it's based around gory human sacrifice, that's okay.
Back to top Go down
Heroin

Heroin

PostSubject: Re: Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?   Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 6:44 pm

unicorn wrote:
I never understood the whole Jesus dying for our sins thing Neutral even though i had a very religious upbringing Embarassed
just google it

here

I have had/still have a religious upbringing too. I've strayed from it and I take it in moderation. I have my own beliefs, but I won't tell my family, of course. I still go to church when I have to and the priests are usually stupid. We have a very good priest in our church, though.
Back to top Go down
Vlaz
Admin
Vlaz

PostSubject: Re: Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?   Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:13 pm

just to be clear, I spent most of my life raised under two different sects of Christianity, and have since high school, done a lot of study in many of the worlds other religions. I know more about Christianity, the bible, and all that than I really want to.

I thought this was an interesting, and relatively accurate little point. I enjoy religions discussions and debates, the problem is that fanatics tend to get a little crazy in their discussions, and I tend to know more about their religion than they do, and then I wind up looking like some asshole trying to ruin their faith, which is not always the case.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefinalstage.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?   Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Christianity more or less based on Human Sacrifice?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Casual Fridays :: General Discussion :: Soapbox-
Jump to: